Monday, January 26, 2009

Kind of a lonely weekend here in Lausanne

So the original plan for this last weekend was to go to Paris!! Well, that did not work out according to plan. My Eurail pass, that was supposed to arrive on Wednesday of last week, did not get here until Saturday. So that was a little sad. It was a little lonely with almost all 56 people that I live with being gone. But I had a nice, slow weekend here in Lausanne. Despite the quiet house, I was able to meet some wonderful people from the other Pepperdine abroad programs that were coming to visit Lausanne, and that will definitely come in handy if I ever go to any of their programs!
It snowed all morning on Saturday, so I opted to stay in and relax have a late breakfast, catch upon homework, and chill.
On Saturday night Professor Giboney invited a bunch of us up to her apartment on the 5th floor of the hotel. When we got there she had popcorn and hot chocolate ready to make, she is so cute. So we start to make the popcorn in the microwave, and all the power goes out in the whole apartment!! We had to track down the maintenance guy to turn it back on, and the second we try to make the popcorn again we knock out all the power...again!! He told us it was because the popcorn bag was too big for the microwave, and that the turning tray was spinning but the popcorn was not, and that’s what caused the power outage…yeah, he was really confused! So now we’re afraid to use the microwave, so we resorted to heating milk in a pan in the stove to make our Ho Cho. So then we sit down to put the movie in the DVD player and a little message popped up that said, in French, that this DVD was in the wrong region. Professor Giboney did not know that you couldn’t play an American DVD in any DVD player in Europe. We resorted to watching the movie on a laptop. Our movie experience was a little bit of a fiasco! The movie was very good though, I definitely recommend it. It was called “Though None Go With Me.”
Sunday morning was absolutely gorgeous, and I have never enjoyed the walk to church more. It was the epitome of the clearing after the storm. The sun was shining, the sky was blue and there was snow covering the Alps.
Church yesterday morning was wonderful, and the Smith family, once again, fed us a delicious lunch. I am so thankful for them, especially when every meal here is average 15 franks. I think I forgot to mention my European McDonalds experience…well let me tell you about it. Your average combo meal, #2 or #6 or whatever, is about 12 franks here!! That is absurd!! Where we have our dollar menu, they have a 3 frank menu, there are no refillable drinks and no self serve ketchup; every ketchup packet is 20 cents. Anyways… things are just different. I have a lot of school work this week. A religion exam and a large french quiz already on Tuesday. So as fun as traveling is, school is still very important, so prayers are always needed in that department!!

Well, I'm off to study until my next class!! LOVE YOU ALL:)

3 comments:

  1. Sorry for such the long post this time:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenn,
    I am glad you enjoyed that walk to church. Sometimes we find the blessings of life when we least expect it. I'm glad you chose to make something good out of a sad situation. Thank the Lord for those Christians in the church there for feeding you each week. That is amazing. God works through those around you. It sounds like you had fun with your teacher too. Tell her hello for me and for dad. What are your plans for next weekend? I can't wait to hear. I love you and I am so proud of you. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jenn! I so enjoy your narratives on what's going on in the country of the Alps! What a wonderful experience! Long posts are fun for us and we see you thru your writing. Remember the Lord and know he is with you; even when you are alone - but not for long!
    ps: Alejandro (Little Alex) misses you!
    Much love,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete